2016 Music awards

Visit Wawela Website

South African Music Rights Organisation


Make a Sound Investment

Do you or your business play music in public? If so, that makes you a Music User!

Music Users who play music in the course of doing business need to pay licence fees. That means anything that isn't personal use. This includes businesses like pubs, mobile DJ's, clubs, restaurants, shopping malls, live music venues and places like wedding venues. It also extends to broadcasters such as radio and TV stations who also play music publically.

We don't make the rules. It's all laid out in the Copyright Act and it's part of South African law. If the music you play isn't written, created, performed and recorded by you, it belongs to the Music Creator and you need a licence.

SAMRO helps Music Creators by licensing their works and collecting licence fees from Music Users, that's you! The fees differ depending on what you use the music for. But SAMRO also looks after your needs as a Music User by ensuring that there's a healthy music industry constantly creating the music that is adding life to your business.


How SAMRO Licensing Works

Important rights you need to know

Mechanical Rights

Mechanical Rights royalties are earned by music composers, lyricists and publishers...

See mechanical rights

Needletime Rights

Needletime Rights royalties are earned by recording artists, vocalists, and studio...

See needletime rights

Performing Rights

Performing Rights are royalties earned by the people who own the musical work...

See performance rights

Visit ourFAQif you have some unanswered questions.